Her light is the light of righteous justice, honor and self-sacrifice. She was the head of the army of gods that fought the ancient demons, inspiring them and keeping them focused on their goal. Seeing how cruel, unjust and vicious the demons were, she could not tolerate this any longer and began collecting her army alongside Chauntea. Iomedae’s life is lived by strict rules of conduct, which she expects others to follow as well, and this can cause some strain in her relationship with other gods, though she remains very close with Chauntea. She is excellent in battle, a natural leader and one that inspires hope among the troops. It is said her sword glowed with light when she fought for justice. The same has been known to happen to powerful paladins who invoke her name on a cause truly just.
Personal cleanliness as well as an honorable demeanor are both very important for her followers. An hour of prayer a day is practiced, in addition to a weekly public worship service.
The paladins of Iomedae are just and strong, crusaders who live for the joy of righteous battle. Their mission is to right wrongs and eliminate evil at its root. They serve as examples to others, and their code demands they protect the weak and innocent by eliminating sources of oppression, rather than merely the symptoms. They may back down or withdraw from a fight if they are over-matched, but if their lives will buy time for others to escape, they must give them. Their tenets include the following affirmations.
- I will learn the weight of my weapon. Without my heart to guide it, it is worthless-my strength is not is my weapon, but in my heart. if I lose my weapon, I have lost a tool. If I betray my heart, I have died.
- I will have faith in the Light-Bringer. I will channel her strength through my body. I will shine in her legion, and I will not tarnish her glory through base actions.
- I am the first into battle, and the last to leave it.
- I will not be taken prisoner by my free will.
- I will not surrender those under my command.
- I will never abandon a companion, though I will honor sacrifice freely given.
- I will guard the honor of my fellows, both thought and deed, and I will have faith in them.
- When in doubt, I may force my enemies to surrender, but I am responsible for their lives.
- I will never refuse a challenge from an equal.
- I will give honor to worthy enemies, and contempt to the rest.
- I will suffer death before dishonor.
- I will be temperate in my actions and moderate in my behavior.
- I will strive to emulate Iomedae’s perfection
The temples of Iomedae function as both a church and living space for her holy knights. These buildings are often painted white and feature arched entrances, pillared courtyards, fountains, and statues.