In this final part of our Women in Gaming series, we wanted to focus on action. To borrow from Ken Burnside’s great piece: all it takes for misogyny to continue in gaming is for good men to see nothing. After acknowledging the problem, though, we have to do something about. So, here’s what WE are going to do, and we encourage any of you who play tabletop rpgs to do the same. Special thanks to our friends at YouPickGaming for the great idea.
#NotAtMyTable is a restatement of Encounter Roleplay’s commitment to providing safe and inclusive community spaces for our games. This means that, in addition to a zero tolerance policy for general bullying abuse, we are going to take the following active steps to ensure we uphold this promise:
- ASK women about their experiences in our community.
- LISTEN to what they say and the feedback they give us.
- WATCH for signs of discomfort during our games.
- PAY ATTENTION to what goes on in our chat and behind the scenes.
- TRACK ESCALATION before it gets out of hand.
- COMMUNICATE with privately with anyone who looks uncomfortable.
- CALL PEOPLE OUT for disrespectful or abusive comments.
- BALANCE GENDER ROLES in our game-worlds and NPCs.
- ACTIVELY SEEK WOMEN for ALL of our community roles.
- PUBLICLY POST these commitments on our Twitch channel.
We encourage ALL streamers, game-shops, conventions, and community groups to print off their very own #NotAtMyTable posters and POST THEM wherever you play games. If you do, drop us a line on Twitter with a photo and the #NotAtMyTable!
Read the rest of our Women in Gaming!
Read more News, Thoughts, & Contests!